In response to Keeper Safety’s Office Password Malpractice Report, many distant staff aren’t following finest practices for password safety.
Password safety was an issue even earlier than the arrival of widespread distant work. So, what occurred post-pandemic?sought to seek out out.
In February 2021, Keeper surveyed 1,000 workers within the U.S. about their work-related password habits — and found that a whole lot of distant staff are letting password safety go by the wayside.
Listed here are 5 vital password safety guidelines they’re ignoring.
1 — At all times use sturdy passwords
Sturdy passwords are a minimum of eight characters lengthy (ideally extra) and include random strings of letters, numerals, and particular characters. Passwords ought to by no means embrace dictionary phrases, that are straightforward to guess, or private particulars, which cybercriminals can scrape off social media channels.
- 37% of respondents to Keeper’s survey mentioned they’ve used their employer’s title as a part of their work-related passwords
- 34% have used their important different’s title or birthday
- 31% have used their kid’s title or birthday
2 — Use a novel password for each account
Some issues ought to by no means be recycled — like passwords. When workers reuse passwords throughout accounts, they tremendously improve the danger that their employer will likely be breached.
Sadly, 44% of respondents to Keeper’s survey admit to reusing passwords throughout private and work accounts.
3 — Retailer all passwords securely, with full encryption
Utilizing a robust, distinctive password for each account is simply a place to begin. Workers additionally must retailer their passwords securely. Keeper’s survey demonstrated that they are not doing that:
- 57% of respondents write down their passwords on sticky notes, and 62% write down their passwords in a pocket book or journal, which anybody else dwelling in or visiting the house can entry.
- 49% retailer their passwords in a doc saved within the cloud, 51% use a doc saved domestically on their laptop, and 55% save them on their cellphone. As a result of these paperwork aren’t encrypted, if a cybercriminal breaches the cloud drive, laptop, or cell phone, they will open the worker’s password file.
4 — By no means share work-related passwords with unauthorized events
Work passwords are confidential enterprise data that workers ought to by no means share with anybody exterior the group, not even their spouses. Keeper’s survey revealed that 14% of distant staff have shared work-related passwords with a partner or important different, and 11% have shared them with different relations.
5 — Password-sharing inside the office is okay, however provided that it is finished securely, with full end-to-end encryption
Shared passwords within the office will be finished safely if workers share passwords utilizing a safe technique, and the passwords are shared solely with approved events. Nonetheless, Keeper’s survey found that 62% of respondents share passwords by means of unencrypted electronic mail or textual content messages, which will be intercepted in transit.
Keeper helps organizations forestall office password malpractice
Keeper’s enterprise-grade password safety and encryption platform helps organizations forestall password malpractice — and password-related cyberattacks — by giving IT directors full visibility into worker password practices, in addition to the power to implement password safety guidelines company-wide.
- Seamlessly integrates into any IAM tech stack. Keeper integrates with Azure, AD, LDAP, and SSO, making it a vital a part of any fashionable IAM technique.
- Routinely generates sturdy, distinctive passwords. Keeper mechanically generates sturdy, random, distinctive passwords for each account and app.
- Securely shops passwords in an encrypted digital vault. Every worker will get an encrypted digital vault that they will entry from any system, working any working system.
- Provides IT admins full management over worker password habits. Utilizing the Keeper admin dashboard, safety personnel can simply configure password safety guidelines, corresponding to size, complexity, and sharing capabilities.
- Allows safe password sharing. Sharing can solely be finished between approved customers, and Keeper’s zero-knowledge encryption strategies make sure that solely the consumer can entry and decrypt their saved recordsdata. Data and recordsdata each at relaxation and in transit, are at all times encrypted.
- Gives your workers with a fringe profit, at no extra value. All protected customers beneath a Keeper Enterprise account get a at no extra value to your group.
Password safety is the inspiration of cybersecurity, and it is particularly vital in a distant work world. It is inconceivable to safe your group with out first securing your workers’ passwords.
Keeper deploys inside minutes, is straightforward for all workers to make use of, and scales to the scale of your group., and begin defending your group from password malpractice.